Friday, September 7, 2012

UNUSUAL GUESTS

Another week comes to an end, yet another with a sick child. This time it was the turn of my daughter. There is a persistent little virus running rife in our city and I hope it packs it's bags soon. It has long outstayed its welcome.

There have, however, been more welcome visitors to this household. For the past few mornings two roosters and a hen have chosen our back fence to crow from and spent the days pecking at our lawn. They come from the farm behind us and turn up every now and then. I do think the hen should lay us and egg or two, but we've had no luck so far.

Here's some snaps from through the window. They're very shy, fluttering and scurrying away if we approach them.








Yesterday I came across another visitor. I picked up a pile of washing to put in the laundry basket and out popped a lizard. I have to admit to a yelp and a quick exit from the bathroom. Lizards aren't generally found inside! In fact I don't think I've seen one since I was a kid.

Here's a photo I found on the web. It's almost identical to the one who came calling. It's an Otago striped skink. The little fellow was about 6 inches long.  He is now safely outside where all good lizards belong!


Now I wonder what's in store for me next week?

6 comments:

  1. We have six hens but are not allowed a roster in town. I remember seeing skinks like that at Paekakariki where we lived until I was 8. If you picked them up by their tail it would drop off so they could escape (from birds if they pecked them up - survival mode)
    Hope your daughter gets well soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember about the tails - very clever of them!
      It must be nice to have your own hens, I've often thought about getting some.

      Delete
  2. Ack! A lizard in the laundry! Sounds like a cute children's story, actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lizard in the laundry - it does have a ring to it, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. Well, I hope everyone is feeling better soon. Love the chicken photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clarissa. Everyone's feeling much better.

      Delete