Friday, August 31, 2012

WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY WRITING WORLD

Between my own bouts of 'flu and the families ills and chills I've been making slow headway through various projects.

I'm wanting to e-publish a collection of my historical short stories and I've gathered together seven stories so far. Most of them have needed tweaking, rearranging and in some cases extending. They were all written for competitions with word limits so I'm enjoying the freedom of having that restraint removed.

Some were written a couple of years ago and it's good to see that my writing has improved since then, even though that means more work in rewriting. But it's not just the writing I'm looking at. The story I'm working on at the moment, for example, needed some words and historical facts checked.



The Shacklock orion coal range. 



Set in the time of our one and only bush-ranger - Henry Garrett - it features what is probably his most famous misdemeanor. The robbery of 15 men at the foot of the Maungatua mountains, with unloaded pistols. He was a gentleman you see! Checking a few facts I realised that although the sticking-up took place in 1861, I had eluded to Shacklock's wonderful new coal ranges which  were not produced until 1873!  Here's a photo of one. I would simply love to have one in my own kitchen.











And somehow those majestic horses with the feathered feet became Drysdales. I've now renamed them correctly as Clydesdales.




I'm halfway through this project and have decided to put off the whole technical task of formatting and horrible tax things until I'm finished. By then it should be summer and hubby will be on holiday with a little more time to advise me. Hubbies are very useful, aren't they?

On the novel writing front, I've left poor Amelia standing in the doorway of the Crown Hotel's dining room, staring at Mr Theodore Brennan. Poor girl has been there for a week or two - I hope her muscles haven't atrophied. I'm having trouble with her. I just can't seem to bring out her best side and stifle her rather selfish behaviour. She really is a lovely girl and deserves much better treatment from me.

I think I need to leave her there and jump forward in the story. Write lots of scenes where you can't help but like her and feel a little sorry for her predicaments. Hopefully I'll then be able to go back and salvage the mess I've left her in.

And on a final note: NaNoWriMo is fast approaching and I think I'm going to give it another go this year. More on that later.

Enjoy the weekend!

8 comments:

  1. The joke about leaving a character standing is a favorite of my siblings' and mine. When I took a break from a project once, they liked to ask me from time to time how long I'd left one person pacing up and down his front porch. He was supposed to be working up into a rage, so I guess a few months of pacing would do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I bet it was a good, well considered rage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Sue. And I love the new blog look - very apt.
    I'm looking forward to reading your ebook and more on Amelia's adventures.
    I can't believe Nanowrimo is almost upon us again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. Poor Amelia is still standing, but I'm getting through these short stories. It's easier to work at the moment - our spring has hidden behind dull, damp skies.

      Delete
  4. I once wrote conversations between me and my characters - they would often chastise me for leaving them in situations for days on end. *grin*

    Hope the sickies have left and you're all feeling healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sickies all back to school today! I'm feeling energetic and attacked some well overdue housework.

      You made me smile about your conversations - what a fun thing to do. They can get bossy with us, can't they?

      Delete
  5. I totally understand how busy you are. Writing is a full time job for me and I feel I'm only able to work part time. That just leaves me falling behind. However, I'm super excited about reading your collection of short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a full time job isn't it. Sometimes I wish I had an office to go to - away from home - and a 9-5 schedule. But that's just not the way it is.
      I'm glad you're looking forward to my stories, I'm getting through them as fast as I can! :)

      Delete