Thursday, September 15, 2011

MUSINGS FROM A 'BLOG TIRED' WRITER

It's been a long time since I've blogged. There's no real reason. I haven't been sick, and I haven't been extra busy. It's just the way it is. I have a blogging friend who coined a relevant phrase: "blog tired".  It fits the bill.

But here I am back again, refreshed after my blog holiday and encouraged by a new follower in the midst of my desertion. Welcome to Dals.

Writing wise I have put the first two chapters together on my rewrite of Blackbird and had them critiqued by my fellow Mad Scribblers. Still lots of work to do, so I've rolled up my sleeves in grim determination. This story will be whipped into shape!

Also I've been playing around with a different genre for an upcoming competition that the local writers group is running. We have to write speculative fiction and I have chosen something completely different than my usual historical settings. I was about to write a few lines describing the story, but as the judge sometimes reads my blog I'll have to keep Mum. All will be divulged in November!

NaNoWriMo will be all go in November. Well I haven't heard anything about it yet, but I assume it's business as usual. Have you any plans for taking part? I'd love to hear about it. I'm toying with the possibility of writing something completely new, or maybe resurrecting the NZ story I started at the beginning of the year.

My oldest son has been back from his European tour for a few weeks now. He's come back older and wiser and I know all that fundraising was worth the effort. To make up for my absence of late, I'll spoil you with some of his wonderful photos.

This is St Francis of Assissi, Italy


This is a statue of Mary and Jesus at Le Puy in France

A street in Le Puy, France. A bit much light, but I love the narrow street, the cobblestones and the old buildings.

In the grounds of the Palace of Versailles
Louis XIV  The Sun King, Versailles
Snapped somewhere in London. St. Georges dragon, perhaps.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,

    Glad you're back with news of your writing explorations. I thought about Nanowrimo this year - I might need encouragement though. I have trouble sticking to the rules.

    Great photos from your son - tell him, thanks for sharing. Love the village street, and St Francis of Assissi reminds me of my art history course, none of which I can remember. A trip to France would help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne - I found the discipline of NaNo really helpful, although I was exhausted by the end. I found that having a definite story plan worked out first made it easier. So go on, give it a go. We can egg each other on!!!
    I did Art History in 7th form - back in the mists of time - but it still lingers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've suffered from blog tiredness. I'm feeling it a bit now. I'm glad you returned and your writing is seems to be going great.

    ReplyDelete