Thursday, December 1, 2011

HELLO SUMMER

Today is the first day of summer and it is a perfect hot sun-shiny day. This morning I took a scrubbing brush and hose to the table on the deck to remove all that winter had thrown at it. Then I pulled up a chair and ate breakfast under the sun. A couple of resident fantails swooped around me and I spotted a large dragonfly. A lovely start to the day.



Along with the coming of summer is the end of the school year. This week my oldest finished school - forever. Second son has spent the week performing in the school show, playing a mighty mean bass guitar. Last night we went as a family and it was loads of fun. And my youngest is winding down her last year of homeschooling. She's off to high school next year and we are both looking forward to the change. There will, hopefully, be a much more prolific writing schedule for me next year.

An almost completed first chapter got an airing on Tuesday night at Mad Scribblers (the awesome critique group I attend). It received favourable reports. So with that boost to my confidence I'm dying to get stuck in and write up a storm!

I still have no title for this new novel, so I'll refer to it as Tegan's Story for the moment. I must admit to thoroughly enjoying writing a modern story. There is very little research needed, which is a nice change, although I do need to interview a friend with the same illness as Tegan's brother. I've never interviewed anyone so it will be another learning curve.

And I'll finish up with a big shout of CONGRATULATIONS!!!! to all those who have completed NaNo. Well done to you all.

Congratulations Graphics

6 comments:

  1. It was much TOO hot if you ask me. I'm not used to the awful, awful heat. I spent most of the day out side and hiding in the basement, it was nice and cool in there. Stinking hot inside. This weather is not condusive to getting anything constructive done.
    That's the end of my whining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that after lunch time it was too hot here as well. The temperature in our ceiling space was 52 degrees Celsius!!! That's hotter than our water cylinder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Sounds like a scorcher down your way. Up here, nothing but wind and pollen – had to get out the spray and zyrtec and eyedrops and cream!!! ;(

    Great to hear about your new story. Enjoy your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids have had to hit the zyrtec too! Hayfever is just awful isn't it? And another scorcher today too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny! When I read that it was summer I thought I had found an older post but then I saw you lived in New Zealand. It's so cold here, I would love for it to be summer...maybe not 52 degrees but still, enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it must be nice to celebrate Christmas in the winter, Clarissa. They just seem to go together. But I'm not complaining about our wonderful weather. We haven't had a decent summer for a few years.

    ReplyDelete