Friday, May 11, 2012

GOOD FOR NOTHING





I first posted about this New Zealand Western, GOOD FOR NOTHING, in August 2010. It's been a long wait, but the movie has finally made New Zealand cinemas and I can tell you it was well worth the waiting. This movie is fun, authentic, raw and pure escapism.


It's been getting rave reviews all over the place and they are well deserved. Right from the opening scene- pictured above - we are firmly entrenched in the wild west of America, despite knowing that the train was the Kingston Flyer from down south and despite the lady's chaperone being played by my old English teacher, Terry MacTavish. 


The Central Otago landscape, great acting and a brilliant musical score by John Psathas make this movie one of the best westerns I've seen - and I've seen plenty!



Inge Rademeyer as Isabella 


Cohen Holloway as 'The Man'.


But for me the real excitement came from knowing that writer/director Mike Wallis had caught the dream to make a western movie, on the vast arid plains of Central Otago, whilst holidaying there in his youth. You see, a decade or so earlier, this girl holidayed in the same Otago landscape and dreamed of writing westerns.


So, if you yearn to see a new Western, complete with nameless cowboy of dubious morals then get on down to your nearest cinema and watch New Zealand's very own Pavalova Western. You'll love it! 


And when you get to the bit with the Indian's stone cottage, you might just recognise it from the banner at the top of my blog.


You can watch the trailer here.


Check out their FaceBook page for cinemas, screening times, and all sorts of snippets and reviews on the movie.


4 comments:

  1. The views are wonderful! The chaperone was really your English teacher? How cool. I'll try to see the movie down here in Mexico.
    Thanks for your review as well. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find it in Mexico.
      And it was a pleasure to review your book - I loved it! I'll be blogging about it soon.

      Delete
  2. I will look forward to seeing this one Julie. Can you share this on facebook? I'm sure others would love to see this post.

    ReplyDelete