Monday, November 1, 2010

THE FIRST DAY OF NA NO: WRITING 'LOGAN'S LEGACY'

When I sat at my desk at 1pm, I was excited and a little nervous. What if I couldn't get started? What if my mind went blank? I had visions of not being able to get to the recommended word count.

I stuck the bright yellow post-it, with the outline of the first chapter, in front of me and began to type. The first paragraphs were slow. I'm never good at beginnings. Whether it's books, chapters or scenes, I struggle with those opening words. Often when I get going I need to go back and remove those first sentences. But with Na No there's no going back.

Twenty minutes in and despite the noise of the road being dug up outside, despite the bright sun beckoning, I was away flying. By 3.30pm I had a total of 2,478 words. More than the 1,667 I needed.

And the story itself? It took less than the first chapter for Logan to decide that this was his story and thank you very much, but he was going to do things his way. Ya gotta love the boy!

I'm looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.
The wide open spaces of Wyoming.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! And I thought I was doing well. You are going to cream this NaNo thing is you keep up that pace. Good Job!

    *Grinding teeth and green with envy I slunk away*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start, Sue! Look forward to the rest of your progress.

    ReplyDelete